Summary: Habits follow a predictable cycle, which, once understood, can be used to change existing habits and create new ones, in life and in work.
- The habit cycle is: cue > routine > reward
- Existing habits can be changed by recognizing the cue, changing the routine, and possibly changing the reward
- Where does choice come in? Interesting contrast between two football coaches in books we’re read: Lombardi was about few plays but empowering people to improvise whereas Dungi was/is about ingraining successful behaviors as habits so players don’t have to think and can react more quickly by trusting the system…
- There are lots of overlapping terms, how to distinguish between habits, culture, process, and ritual?
- Check out Reed Hasting’s presentation on company culture <get link>